Main Menu

I Need A Name!

Started by PsuFan, January 30, 2010, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadywithSauce

No, I don't think its too long. Aaand your website is called "Web Chips Challenge," Personally, I think the name of the site should be reflected in the address bar.

Since everyone knows Chips Challenge as that name, and that is the game played here, it's wise to keep it in the web address and adding one more word like "online" or "web" isn't going to make it too long. (Look at textsfromlastnight.com; it has a long title, but it's easy to remember)

The site is so small, I doubt you'll get any legal repercussions. Besides, if it does come to that, you can always just change it again later, but only upon their request.

PsuFan

Legal repercussions dont have to do with your size.

It would be great to keep the name, the link with the chips fans, I just dont know if I can.

I think this story tells it well:
A non profit company thought they could use a song in the advertisement without asking the author and got sued.
You have the power to make every day better.

mentalmarvel

Melindasclubhouse.com (the world Chip is in) or bitbusterclub.com (the club he'll gain access to if he wins) would both be great alternatives if you want to avoid copyright infringment.

The first might be a little long, but the second is an average size for a URL.

PsuFan

But I dont think there very good names for the game, sorry.

mentalmarvel

I really don't think you really need to worry about copyright infringement. This is a totally different playing field than advertising or music privileges. Take onlinesupermario.com or supermarioonline.net for example. Both have been on the web for awhile and neither have ever had to change the name or whatnot because of "infringement." And Mario is huge compared to Chip's Challenge (a game that isn't even available anymore on any new systems). Besides, if you stray too far from "Chip's Challenge," a lot of people who might be looking for something like what you've got going here might not ever find it.

CraigV

Might I interject here?

Ralph Baer is arguably the father of interactive media. He put patents on it. When Nolan Bushnell released the game "Pong" under the company Atari instead of Magnavox, Baer's company, Baer decided to sue Bushnell. Bushnell obviously paid cash outside of court and the conflict was resolved.

Another key point to this is that the copyright holders are looking at re-releasing Chip's Challenge.
The Last Few Chips
Volume I: 400 CC1 levels Plot
Volume II: Quasar Industries: 146/156 WebCC levels
Volume III: 0/450 CC2 levels

PsuFan

But I agree with mentalmarvel, the name should try and keep the link with Chips Challenge.

How about Chucks Challenge.. I dont know, might have been suggested before.

-_- some fker in europe has chuckschallenge.com

Also Chuck Summerville and his "Puzzle Studio" isnt worried about keeping the name close to Chips Challenge....

Thomas8april

What about www.playchips.com
www.playchipschallenge.com
www.iChip.com
www.iChipsChallenge.com
www.PlayChipsC.com
www.PlayCC.com
www.ChipWarehouse.com
www.Chippy.com < LOL
www.PlayOnChips.com
www.PCCO.com < PCCO = Play Chips Challenge Online
www.CCO.com < Chips Challenge Online
www.chipsonline.com
www.onlinechip.com
www.ChipWeb.com

Well thats all I got. Hope they are useful.

Regards,
Thomas8april Yo!

PsuFan

Hello, thanks for all the ideas

www.playchips.com TAKEN
www.playchipschallenge.com AVAIL
www.iChip.com TAKEN
www.iChipsChallenge.com AVAIL
www.PlayChipsC.com AVAIL
www.PlayCC.com TAKEN (Would have used that)
www.ChipWarehouse.com TAKEN
www.Chippy.com TAKEN
www.PlayOnChips.com AVAIL
www.PCCO.com TAKEN
www.CCO.com TAKEN
www.chipsonline.com TAKEN
www.onlinechip.com $1,700 (normal cost $10)
www.ChipWeb.com TAKEN

You can now see the problem lol. Only 4 of those are available. I like playchipschallenge, but I dont know if I can use the name "Chips Challenge" for legal reasons.

Chema

how 'bout
"LilMan"
"LilChip"
"TinyChip"

or even changing it's name from chip to bob..."BobsChallenge"  :)
just a thought.   "BillyBob"

PsuFan

FootballPsycho

CcFansOnline.com possibly? I like it & it's not taken. It isn't too long either. ;)

Furry

chipmania.com
worldofchip.com
chipgoesonline.com
[move]Furry Lazy Old Me.............[/move]

PsuFan

And you want the game to be called Chip Mania?

CraigV

What happened about needing a name change for legal reasons?
The Last Few Chips
Volume I: 400 CC1 levels Plot
Volume II: Quasar Industries: 146/156 WebCC levels
Volume III: 0/450 CC2 levels